Scrapbook Journalizing -
The Five W's
by Michelle Fulton
Scrapbook journaling is one of the primary components that sets a scrapbook apart from a plain photo album. Pictures by themselves tell a certain amount of the "story" behind the pictures, but journaling can bring the pictures to life.
What is journaling?...
It's very simple actually. Depending on how involved you want to get, it can be a simple statement of facts about an event or as heartfelt as a love letter.
When you think about it, the true purpose of scrapbooking is to serve as a sort of family history and while books full of pictures are nice, it's even nicer to have the memories to go along with them. Plus, how are your great, great grandchildren going to know how much you enjoyed your trip to the Grand Canyon, if you don't provide them with the nitty-gritty details?
The key to successful scrapbook journaling is to keep a good record of your events.
So, next time you go to a birthday party or a family reunion, keep the Five W's in mind and jot down a few notes to keep the memories fresh in your mind.
- Who: Who is in the pictures? Who is taking the pictures? How are they related to each other?
- What: What is happening in the pictures? Is it your child's first birthday, a wedding or an Easter egg hunt?
- When: When was the photo taken? At the very least, try to include the month and the year, but if it is detailing a birthday celebration, include the specific date. You'd be surprised how the details get lost in the shuffle 100 years down the road.
- Where: Where is the event taking place?
- Why: Why is this event taking place?
Now, scrapbook journaling is not always about "just the facts". It's also important to convey your feelings about the event when scrapbooking!
- How did you feel when your husband proposed?
- How you felt when you children were born?
- How proud you felt when your son/daughter graduated?
These are just a few examples. If you're willing to pour your heart out onto paper, you can use your scrapbook as a bonafide journal/diary.
Michelle has been scrapbooking for over five years and is the owner of Choubox Scrapbook Design (http://www.creative-scrapbook-layouts.com). Choubox is your source for pre-made scrapbook layouts, quality scrapbook supplies and valuable information on how to start scrapbooking.