Free Craft Project
Hanging Crayon Sign
You won't have any trouble getting the kids involved in this great hanging crayon sign craft project. They can each make one for their bedroom door and even customize them however they like!
- 14" x 8" piece of rigid foam glued to heavy cardboard
- 12" x 6" piece of rigid foam
- 5 pieces of rigid foam (5 different colors)
- 5 pieces of construction paper to match foam colors
- poster paint or magic markers
- hole punch
- 5 - 4" long pieces of string or wire
- 1 - 12" long piece of string or wire
- 5 - 2" long bows made from 1/4" wide ribbon
- 1 - 5" inch long bow made from 1-1/2" to 2" wide fabric or ribbon
- for a decorative sign border, you can use painted raw pasta noodles, sequens, beads, buttons, or for the talented, paint your own design
On the 14" x 8" rigid foam, draw a pencil line 1" in from the edge all the way around. Glue the 12" x 6" rigid foam on this line (so it's centered on the first piece).
Pencil in whatever name you want on the sign. Then, either paint or magic marker the letters.
If you have chosen to use decorative pieces for the border (pasta, beads, etc.), glue them in place, creating whatever pattern you like.
Print out the crayon template and then trace the shape onto five pieces of different colored foam. Now cut out a rectangle shape from each of the corresponding colors of construction paper. Glue matching colors together (i.e., blue crayon paper on blue foam) to simulate an actual crayon.
Once the glue is dry, lay the crayons sideways and then print the name of the corresponding color across construction paper.
Punch a hole in each top corner of the sign. On the bottom of the sign, mark 5 equal spaces across the bottom with a pencil and then punch a hole in each spot.
Now punch one hole in the bottom (flat end) of each crayon.
Take the 12" piece of wire (or string) and attach the ends in the top holes of sign for a hanger.
Take 4" pieces of wire (or string) and attach each crayon to a different hole at bottom of sign. Leave enough slack so the crayons dangle.
Attach the 5 smaller bows, one to each wire holding a crayon. Now attach the larger bow to the top of the hanger.
Instead of foam, you can use two pieces of 1/2" plywood for the sign itself, in which case you will need a drill and suitable drill bit in order to make the holes. Also, you will need acrylic or oil rather than poster paint.